Sunday, August 30, 2009

Here Souffle, Gone Tomorrow!

Last week, my husband Casey and I were watching Alton Brown's "Good Eats" on Food Network. (Casey is addicted to this show and I find it very entertaining!) This show was about "bubbles", and Alton was making a cheese souffle. Casey mentioned that he had never had one and I figured, hey...this looks complicated enough, lets see if I can make one!

We looked up the recipe for Alton's Cheese Souffle online and went to find a souffle dish and all the ingredients!
I laid out all the ingredients and got to work!

It was a little hard to get the cheese to melt over no heat like the recipe said...so I cheated and put it over heat and we finally got it to melt! HOORAY! I had also never had to separate egg yolks and whites, so that was quite special. I got the hang of it after the first one though...it took some skill.

We poured the mixture in the prepared souffle dish and popped it in the oven...waiting anxiously to see how horribly I had screwed this up. After 30 or so minutes I peeked in the oven and IT ACTUALLY WORKED!!! I was pretty shocked....if you can't tell. Just look at how tall it got! I was SO PROUD!



We took it out and it fell just a little, which it was supposed to do. It looked just like it was supposed to, I didn't screw it up! Nothing I make EVER looks like the picture! Isn't it pretty?


Here's a pic after we sliced it up! I have had a souffle before so I knew what to expect, but I'm not the biggest fan ever of sharp cheddar cheese so it wasn't my favorite. Casey was okay with the souffle itself, but we want to try another one WITHOUT the sharp cheddar cheese. It's a little "sharp" for us. hahaha. Anyway, I want to make another! Anybody have any recipes for me?

2 comments:

  1. Souffle! I'm impressed. :) I've never made or had one myself. And... I'm of two minds when it comes to Good Eats. Sometimes I find it very educational and helpful, but most times I can't stand to listen to Alton. His recipes are good though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You left out the most important step! When popping the souffle into the oven Alton says "don't stop to talk to strangers."

    All-n-all it was a great meal from a great aspiring chef :) good job love!

    ReplyDelete